In an introductory course to After Effects, I explored type in motion and how to animate type in dynamic ways.
Over the course of 10 weeks, I moved from using basic transformations, to learning how to use import custom graphics and masking techniques to animate type.
I will be discussing two of my projects that I completed: my final project, and a project in which I had complete creative control.
Although this is the first project I will discuss, this was actually my final project for the class. Everything that I learned during the 10 weeks, which includes importing graphics, masking objects, using 3D, and audio, is reflected in this project.
For the prompt of the final, we were tasked to address an issue of sustainability and create an informational video on the topic of our choice. For my topic, I chose to address zero waste and the impacts of excess waste in the environment, as well as easy ways to lessen our waste.
In my brainstorm, I jotted down facts and information that I wanted to portray in the video. I wanted to educate viewers about zero waste by including short and concise blocks of information that would be easy to digest. I also included some quick sketches of potential graphics that I could include to aid the type in the video.
This project I particularly enjoyed because it was a break away from our normal curriculum. Typically, every week we learn a new skill to include into our future projects to get us ready for the final project. This week, however, we were able to learn whatever effects in After Effects that we wanted. We were able to touch upon subjects that we have not yet covered, so many constraints were lifted to give us full creative control.
After doing some research, I noticed that a trend in dance or choreography videos have been the moving neon lines effect that often trace over the dancers' moves and add a cool pop of color. There was this video that caught my eye of these glowing animations throughout the dance practice that I wanted to learn how to create.
I found a video on Twitter that I liked and messaged the person who posted it for permission to use it in my project. Like always, I started to brainstorm some animations that I wanted to include in each frame. It was really fun to play with how the animations would compliment the movements in each of the moves.
What followed after was a tedious process of animating the segment that I chose frame by frame, with the frame rate of the project being 30 fps. For this short segment, it took over 10 hours of animating. It was definitely a learning process, and I hope in the future I will able to complete animating the entire video.